Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Streets That Talk.


Upon arrival in London many years ago, I was relieved to find that, as my clever roommate put it, "the streets came with instructions."

I did wonder, as I strolled those noisy thoroughfares, why the words were so widely sprawled upon the asphault. Consistently. On nearly every corner (and I think I counted twelve million corners).

 I tried not to dwell too much on the events surmised by my imagination that surely caused countless men in white curly wigs to come together in an echoing parliament chamber and decree that the streets be inscribed in order to protect careless foreigners such as myself (Can you tell I recently watched Amazing Grace? <--watch the trailer).

Well, 3-week-long-story-short, I surivived those perilous crosswalks by heeding the helpful words. I enjoyed my visit, learned much, fell more in love with my Jesus  (that's a subject for another post someday), and now relate this short anecdote to an even more crucial set of "street instructions":

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."   Isaiah 30:21
Glorious, isn't it? Life-saving, wouldn't you say? That we, creatures who become so overrun with "what-if's" and "yes, but's" and "what about's" in our perplexities and crossroads, can choose to let the still, small voice, so great in strength, overpower and quiet the storm of questions in our minds and say "this is the way; walk in it."

Thank you, roads of London, for pointing me to Him.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...