Saturday, February 5, 2011

"I'm Still Here."

or, A Lesson from the Airwaves.



It struck me years ago, on a roadtrip with my mom. Somewhere in the day's travels over hill and vale, via hairpin turns, the sporadic radio signal gave me a life lesson. Our ears were greeted intermittently by alternating music and white noise. I'm pretty sure we opted for silence after a while, giving up on the spotty airwaves.

In the quiet, the thought came:

The road winds, the terrain changes, and even if we can't hear the music, the radio signal is still broadcasting somewhere. It's our position that determines whether we hear it or not-- it never just stops broadcasting.

 ...and like those airwaves...

Sometimes, we have a hard time trusting God when we can't feel Him, hear Him, or see Him working.
Sometimes, our life's terrain is blocking our view of Him...whether due to our own choices or simply due to unexpected twists and turns.
Sometimes, we believe we've been deserted because we find ourselves in the midst of white noise.
Sometimes, we're like King David, crying "How long?"
"How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?


Consider and hear me, O Lord my God; Enlighten my eyes,
Lest I sleep the sleep of death;
Lest my enemy say, 'I have prevailed against him';
Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
 
But I have trusted in Your mercy;
My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation,
I will sing to the Lord,
Because He has dealt bountifully with me."
Psalm 13
...and sometimes, like David,  we remember truth in the midst of trial, and that truth reminds us-- He's still there.

"I'm still Here." He's embraced my soul with these words of reassurance during times of drought before, times of silence. "I'm still Here."  And with those words, he coaxes me forward, one step at a time, until those hairpin turns and mountainous stretches give way to clear airwaves, and I look back and see--  He never left me. Even in the silence, He was there. He was merciful, faithful, and dealt bountifully with me.

Praise Him today with me for these truths? And listen in on one of my all time favorite songs (ever!):



Click on the blue words ahead for related reading on where and how to lean.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...